The Kindle Arts Society Board of Directors (Board) are elected by the society’s members to pursue the society’s mission. Terms for directors are two years (with an option to be re-elected each year after that). Each year at the society’s Annual General Meeting (AGM), about half of the directors complete their two-year term and resign. In this way, 50% of the directors on the board are tenured and 50% are new, to help the society maintain operational consistency.
The Board meets approximately every month, usually at the home of one of the Directors, on a day that maximizes the number of available Directors. Most decisions are made by consensus, but some are determined by a vote of the attending Directors. Three Directors are needed for quorum and Directors attempt to attend most meetings. Meetings are open to the public (except for occasional in camera portions of the agenda) and publicized on Facebook and in the previous meeting minutes.
Most urgent matters are decided by email. Directors attempt to reply to email sent to their official addresses in a timely fashion and inform the Board of extended absences.
Board members may be invited to participate in the Burning Man Global Leadership Conference and other conferences. In the past the Society has subsidized some of the cost of attending.
The Kindle Arts Society holds Directors & Officers insurance that protects Board members from liability.
Duties of Directors
- Attend Board meetings
- Respond to Board emails
- Serve on teams as required
- Represent the Society to external stakeholders and make agreements on behalf of the Society
- Sign cheques for grants and expenses
- Edit the Society website and engage with the Society’s social media presence
- Organize meetings of the Board
- Presides at all meetings of the Society
- Prepare the annual report and strategic plan
- Carries out the duties of the chairperson during the chairperson’s absence
- Provide support to Special Teams as necessary (ie. Ranger Liaison, Kindle Academy, etc.)
- Conducts correspondence
- Issues notices of meetings of the Society
- Keeps minutes of meetings of the Society or assigns this work to another Director
- Holds all records and documents of the Society except those required to be kept by the Treasurer
- Maintains the register of members (or assigns this work to another Director)
- Keeps the financial records, including books of account, necessary to comply with the Society Act
- Make financial statements to the directors, members and others when required
- Arrange payment of grants and expenses of the Society from the Society’s bank account
- Chair the Art Grants committee
Director of Communications
- Manages the messaging from the board of directors to the membership
- Manages all communication channels such as the email list and facebook groups (ie. Kindle Arts and Otherworld)
- Works closely with the Regional Coordinator to send joint communications to the Victoria Burning Man email list and facebook group
- Updates the Kindle Arts website
- Participates in online discussion via the Facebook groups and provides moderation to prevent disrespect toward other members
- Creates facebook event pages as necessary for the board of directors
- Promotes events via communication channels